Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Pregnancy Weight Gain/Loss

Before I got pregnant, I had weighed 110 lbs. for years. I've always had a difficult time gaining weight, and 110 lbs. was my body's natural weight. I have always had a huge appetite, and my friends would refer to me as the 'bottomless pit'. During the first trimester of my pregnancy, I craved fruits, salads, and soups. I wanted nothing to do with meat, which was unusual. By month 5, I was up 15 lbs. I never had any specific cravings, except for peaches and nectarines, which I indulged in, daily. During my third trimester, I started craving sweets, which I was never into, pre-pregnancy. I didn't restrict myself, but I naturally like to eat on the healthy side, and by the time I gave birth, I weighed 140 lbs. Once I gave birth, I stayed in the hospital for 4 days, and upon returning home, I was pretty anxious to see how much weight I had lost. I was surprised to have just lost 10 lbs., but it actually made sense, because I had been pumped with fluids for 48 hours. As soon as my milk came in, the weight just melted away, and amazingly enough, my body has snapped back. Breastfeeding actually helps the uterus shrink back to it's original size as well. Since I had a cesarean delivery, I was not allowed to work out or lift anything heavier than my baby for 8 weeks. I will definitely be joining a gym as soon as I can start working out! I am also extremely fortunate to not have stretch marks or have lose, hanging skin, and I really believe that is just up to genetics. During my pregnancy, I applied organic coconut oil and Motherhood Maternity had sent me Mama Bee belly butter, which I loved.
I haven't applied anything since Zane was born though. As soon as I came home from the hospital, I began wearing a girdle, which I highly recommend for every mother's recovery. This was crucial to my recovery, helping my organs go back to their original locations, as well as lessening the pain every time I laughed, coughed or sneezed. I have not yet lost the full 30 lbs that I had gained, but I actually prefer my body now to my pre-pregnancy body. I feel like I finally have curves in all the right places now, and am in no rush to lose any more wait. Ladies, it takes 9 months to grow a baby and put on the weight, and it will take time to recover as well, so take your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment